Friday 24 September 2010

Learning Guitar - How Does a Capo Work?

Capos! What strange and mysterious devices! What do they do? How do you use them?

Almost every guitar player has one or two of these creatures tucked away in the bottom draw of their closet. You know what I mean ...it's the same place you keep all those "easy" learn to play guitar books and videos!

Like many things in music when you buy the "item" you are left to "figure it out" for yourself. I've never seen any instructions with any capo. It's the same when you purchase an electric guitar...does anyone know what those controls do?

For those of you who do have a capo and have had "private lessons" - have you ever taken your capo along for "enlightenment" on its use and relevant application? I'll bet you left more confused than when you arrived.

Personally, I recall receiving a 20 minute lecture on the "evils" of this contraption when I brought my capo along to my guitar lesson.

Needless to say, the capo never made a return to the guitar lessons and for a long time it lived in the bottom draw of the closet. (That's how I know where most guitarists put them. I guess most of us have had similar experiences).

It always made me wonder what the capo really did do ...how could this innocent looking piece of metal cause so much trouble?

For a long time I never tried to use the capo ... then after my ten thousandth attempt at working out the introduction of the Beatles "Here Comes The Sun" I noticed that if I could clamp a finger (I think that might be a clue) down behind my other three fingers with a lot of stretching I could just about get the sound I was searching for. The problem was holding all my fingers down and stretching ...the solution...the capo. Immediately my problem of holding down the impossible chord was solved!

From that moment on, I began investigating the possibilities of using a capo on other songs I had difficulties with and sure enough ...the capo was the answer. Immediately a whole new world of exciting possibilities had opened for me.

How do capos work?

Essentially there are two types of chords guitarists use:

(a) open chords - chords that use open strings

(b) bar chords - chords that do not use open strings whereby a single finger (usually the index finger) is used to cover two or more strings.

The capo gives the guitarists the best of both worlds, by enabling the player to get the crisp sound of open chords in keys that would normally require the use of bar chords.

Tip 1: The main problem guitarists encounter is having to re-tune their instrument every-time they use the capo.

I recommend the "Kyser" brand capos, they cost a couple of dollars more than the basic capos, but you will never regret buying one. I've been using one of these capos for over 25 years and it's still going strong!

Tip 2: If you have trouble getting a clear sound from your guitar when you are using a capo check to make sure that you have placed the capo behind the fret ... just like a finger.

Guitarists and guitar books often refer to placing the capo on "X" fret, when in reality the capo is placed behind the fret.

For example, if the song indicated the capo should be placed on the second fret, you would in fact place the capo behind the second fret.

Tip 3: Another point is, you need to make sure that your capo is close to the fret (but not on top of the fret). If you are using a screw style of capo then you have to make sure you have enough pressure on the strings to ensure they do not buzz.

Tip 4: When purchasing a capo be sure to advise the salesperson of the type of guitar you play i.e., a steel strung acoustic guitar requires a "curved capo" as the fretboard on a steel strung guitar is slightly curved. If you play a nylon strung guitar we will need a flat capo as the nylon strung guitar has a flat fretboard.

Tip 5: Once you place a capo on the neck you are essentially making the guitar's neck shorter. Therefore you would treat the capo just like a new "nut" and play your standard chord shapes the way you would normally play them without the capo.

Now you know how they work, try playing some of your favorite songs with the capo, you will be surprised how much difference a capo can make, it's like playing a brand new instrument.

No comments:

Post a Comment